Friday, January 15, 2010

MICRO MANAGEMENT

As I go up and down the micro stakes tables on PokerStars, I find (not surprisingly) that the skill level plummets the lower you go. This doesn't necessarily translate into winnings for a more sound player. You end up losing to inside straights hit on the river, 2-3 flushes crack your aces, and people stupidly call brilliant bluffs with bottom pair. Nobody folds when they are supposed to. No one is paying attention, or don't understand what a move means, so setting somebody up with clever deception is pointless. At the lowest levels you don't even get to size up an opponent because if someone wins a moderate pot they usually run away. Hit and Run for .45 cents?!? Weak.
My problem is that right now I don't have enough of a bankroll to even handle a 10 buy-in swing at the higher micro or low level stakes. Pretty sad, but cut me some slack- I'm unemployed right now. I don't know if I'm getting a good gauge of my abilities at the "blood clot" tables (that's the opposite of nosebleed, right?) People at higher levels make appropriate bets, slow play less, and fold when they should. The chat is a lot better too. Of course, so is the play, and that's the rub. I don't know if I am good enough to succeed at a higher level, and there is only one way to find out. Maybe I'll run that experiment when I get my tax refund.
Ugh. I better go study more if I'm going to do that.....

No comments:

Post a Comment