Just saw The Town tonight, and it was great. It's the first time I've been to a movie theater in almost a year! That's one thing that sucks about living in the sticks: almost no theaters. The good news is that the closest theater only charges $6.25, and that's for an evening showing! How cool is that? You can't get a fucking sandwich for $6.25! And not a single ad before the movie!
I started thinking about my favorite Boston movies, so here it is. Everyone loves lists. It's a little Affleck heavy, seeing as he wrote three of the movies, and directed two of them. What can I say- he's a great director. And I love Justin Timberlake too, so fucking deal with it! Here's my top five Boston movies of all time:
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) Good adaptation of the George V. Higgins novel. Lovable small time bumbling crooks, 70's Boston and muscle cars, plus Robert Mitchum and Peter Boyle. What's not to love?
4) Good Will Hunting (1997) Sappy, but well done, and a fairytale for all aspiring buddy screenwriters.
3) The Town (2010) Incredible cast, great location shots of Boston, and a heist movie that actually keeps your attention.
2) Gone Baby Gone (2007) Gritty Boston, warts and all.
1) Mystic River (2003) Beautiful aerial shots of Boston, incredible cast (with a little overacting by Spicoli). One of the best books I've ever read, and Clint Eastwood adapted it well. This movie really captures Dennis Lehane's portrait of his hometown, Dorchester.
Honorable mention: The Verdict (1980), The Departed (2006)